I love being an American Express cardholder. While I initially apply for American Express cards for the lucrative sign-up bonuses, there is another benefit that continually keeps American Express cards in my wallet, years after my application!
Enter: Amex Offers.
What is “Amex Offers”?
According to American Express, “Amex Offers is a program that saves you money or earns you points on shopping, dining and more. You can choose offers from brands you love and get discounts in the form of statement credits on your account or as extra points added to your Membership Rewards account.”
According to Accounting Your Points, Amex Offers is a program that offers coupons, in the form of statement credits, to many popular restaurants and shops.
Amex Offers can provide you with significant savings on the everyday and once a year purchases alike – it pays (literally) to use Amex Offers. From Carrabba’s Italian Grill to Neiman Marcus Department Store to Staples Office Supply Stores, to Exxon/Mobil gas stations, and everything in the middle – Amex Offers will save you money!
Who can use Amex Offers?
Are you an American Express cardholder? Then chances are that you can use Amex Offers!
Per American Express, the following cards are eligible:
- Any valid U.S. American Express Consumer Card issued by American Express, Business Card from American Express OPEN® or registered American Express Serve® Card or Bluebird® Card is eligible to participate in Amex Offers using an americanexpress.com account or through Facebook and Twitter.
- Any valid American Express Card issued in the U.S. by a licensed third-party bank licensed to issue American Express-branded Cards is only eligible to participate in Amex Offers through Facebook and Twitter.
Not Eligible: American Express® Corporate Cards, American Express® Gift Cards and Prepaid Cards, excluding registered American Express Serve® and Bluebird® Cards, are not eligible to participate.
Make sure to note that while your card might be eligible to participate in Amex Offers, it might not mean that you will have access to all published offers. Some Amex Offers have “limited enrollment” – meaning you have to add to your cards quickly before the offer capacity is reached, while other Amex Offers are “targeted” – meaning they are only available to specific accounts… but don’t worry! There are still plenty of savings to be had!
How can I use Amex Offers?
There are multiple channels by which you can enroll your eligible card in Amex Offers, so take a look and see which best suits you!
Through your AmericanExpress.com account:
- Online: Log into your account online at americanexpress.com, scroll down and click on the “Amex Offers” or the “Amex Offers and Benefits” tab. From there, simply select the offer you want and save it to your Card.
- Mobile: On your Amex Mobile App, click the “Offers” section, select the offer you want and tap “Add to Card”.
Through Facebook and Twitter:
- Facebook:Make sure to connect your eligible American Express Card to Facebook by visiting Facebook. Once your card is linked, log into Facebook and click on the “Amex Offers” app and select “Add to Card” for the offers you want.
- Twitter: Again, make sure to connect your eligible American Express Card to Twitter by visiting Twitter. Once linked, follow Amex on Twitter and when you see an offer you want, tweet the offer hashtag and wait for a confirmation tweet from @AmexOffers.
Multiplying your Amex Offers Savings!
Unfortunately, through using the methods above, individuals with multiple American Express cards will not be able to add the same offer to multiple cards… however, there is a bit of a work-around here!
Instead of adding an offer through the Mobile, Facebook, or Twitter routes, open multiple internet browsers (i.e. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.) and log in to your American Express account on each separate browser.
Select each different card on each browser in order to show the Amex Offers available for each, and add identical offers across all of your cards!
Amex Offer Confirmation
After saving the offer to your account and completing the related charge, American Express will acknowledge your use of your Amex Offer via email!
And your statement credit should appear within a few days (thought the terms say within 90 days, I find that the post much more timely than that…)
Amex Offers are my second favorite feature of American Express cards (the first being the lucrative initial sign-up bonus offers)! I can easily justify keeping an American Express card in my wallet since my Amex offer savings will outweigh any annual fee that I might incur!
For those of you with American Express cards, make sure that you are taking advantage of your relationship with American Express busing your Amex Offers! For those of you that are not cardholders, maybe Amex Offers will be the reason why you decide to give American Express credit cards a chance.
Questions, comments, compliments and complaints – send ‘em all to firstname.lastname@example.org