UPDATE: This offer has expired.
As the all-time high offer on the Starwood Preferred Guest credit card came to an end this past week (March 30, 2016), American Express wasted no time in bumping up another one of their co-branded credit cards to an all-time high sign-up bonus offering of 100,000 points!
That’s right! The Hilton HHonors Surpass Card from American Express is currently offering a record high 100,000 HHonors points after meeting $3,000 in spend in the first 3 months. The normal bonus for this card is 60,000 points, and increased offers have historically topped out at 85,000 – that means this offer is 15,000 points more than the previous best bonus offer!
This card made my March 2016 List of Top Cards with an 85,000 point bonus, so definitely expect the card to move up the list in April! If you were one of those who just missed the SPG all-time high offer, don’t fret for too long, as taking advantage of this card offer will also provide a valuable boost to your hotel point portfolio! This offer is only available until May 4, 2016, so don’t delay your application.
Here is a more detail breakdown of some card benefits outside of the huge sign-up bonus:
- Earn 12 Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases charged directly with a participating hotel or resort within the Hilton HHonors portfolio of brands.
- Earn 6 Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants, U.S. supermarkets, and U.S. gas stations.
- Earn 3 Bonus Points for all other eligible purchases.
- Enjoy complimentary Hilton HHonors Gold status with your Card.
While the card does come with a $75 annual fee, that fee earns you Hilton Gold status, which I value at more than $75. Some Gold status perks include 5th night free on award stays, complimentary internet at certain Hilton properties, upgrades to preferred rooms (space available) and late/express check out, among other things!
How to tell if this card is best for you?
This card is best for you if:
- You have a specific redemption stay in mind at a Hilton Property
- You prefer to stretch points by redeeming for mid-level hotel properties.
Here is the Hilton Award Chart:
And here is where I would suggest focusing your redemption stays for maximum comfort and value:
- Category 3 – up to 6 nights (utilizing the Hilton Gold “5th Night Free” benefit)
- Category 4 – 3 to 5 nights (depending on the exact points required)
- Category 5 & 6 – 2 to 3 nights (depending on the exact points required)
- You have an event (wedding/party) planned at a Hilton Property
- Weddings are typically expensive, which means HIGH bonus earning potential!
- You frequently stay at Hilton properties for business or personal travel
- You are looking to build your hotel points balances
- You want to associate with a hotel brand with over 3,200 hotel properties – all over the world!
- You want to earn Hilton HHonors points FAST – the bonus categories mean fast earning!
- You already have a great flexible rewards earning credit card (i.e. Chase Sapphire Preferred)
This card is not the right fit for you if:
- If you don’t already have a great flexible rewards earning credit card (like the CSP, or SPG Amex, etc.) – pick up one of these cards instead of or in addition to the Hilton Surpass
- You plan on redeeming at luxury properties for a weekend stay
- Check out the other co-branded Hilton Card by Citi – which offers 2 Free Weekend Night Certificates, rather than points
- You have already had this card and received a sign-up bonus
- Remember, American Express has a ONE sign-up bonus per lifetime rule on their credit cards
The Hilton HHonors Surpass card by American Express was the first travel credit card that I ever applied for and helped jump-start my points and miles hobby! It is a very solid hotel credit card (that I still carry – mainly for the Hilton Status) and is a great way to build your points balance with such a popular Hilton Hotel Chain (3,200 properties means thousands of redemption options)!
The 100,000 Hilton HHonors point sign-up bonus can provide a ton of value – especially at the mid-level award properties (i.e. Category 3 through Category 6 properties).
Intrigued by this offer? Stayed tuned to AYP for in the coming days for a detailed post on some specific hotel redemptions that I would book using this 100,000 Hilton HHonors point sign-up bonus!
Want to boost your Hilton HHonors points but looking for a no annual fee option? The Hilton HHonors Card from American Express also has a high sign-up bonus offer of 75,000 HHonors points! The card doesn’t offer the same benefits as the Surpass (i.e. Gold Status), but it does come with no annual fee!
As always, feel free to send any questions/comments related to this card or any other to email@example.com.